Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The worst headache of my life!

I have had headaches for as long as I can remember. In fact when I was high school I can remember going to the nurses station because my was pounding so hard. When someone else was already using the bed I found an empty desk, crawled underneath and slept until the day was over. I have been tested for all sorts of things, gone to lots of doctors, tried the newest and greatest treatments available. Turns out I have good old migraines.

When I was younger I had migraines all the time, 2-3 times a week. Now it is not as severe. I am not sure what the difference was but when I moved to Colorado my headaches decreased drastically. I have headaches a couple times a month but I only have migraines 1-2 a year. So when I woke up Sunday I knew what was going on.

I couldn't lift my head without it feeling like it was going to explode. I was nauseous to the point of dry heaving. Even walking made my head vibrate. My sweet husband did everything he could think of to help. He rubbed my back, shut the blinds, turned down the TV, got me a cold compress, fed me the drugs the doc prescribed and when nothing made it better he took me to the ER.
When we got there the doctor basically said headaches were a normal thing during pregnancy especially since I had a history of them. The staff at Valley View Hospital were so sweet to me.

The nurse needed to listen to Loco's heartbeat and asked me where we were best able to hear it. When she put the thingy (I can't for the life of me remember what it is called) on my tummy Loco would move. It became a game of cat and mouse. When she was finally able to pin him down and get a good reading he started kicking it. It made me laugh which made me want to cry.

They gave me a shot of benadryl and reglan and told me to keep taking the vicoden. Basically the medication put me to sleep for about 6 hours. When I woke up I still had a headache but it wasn't as bad. I spent the next 2 days doing the exact same thing. Sleep, medicate, drink h2o, sleep again. Today has been the first day I haven't had pressure in my head thank heavens. I hope I go a long time with out another headache like that.

I am curious, those of you who have headaches. What has been the best remedy for you while you were pregnant?

No comments: